The Importance of using Resistance Band
By Vincent Obeñita
Many of us still don’t fully understand the importance of using resistance bands also known as exercise bands or stretch bands.. Some would say that it’s just an extra accessory or just used for basic stretching and isn’t really necessary. You need to try them first and you’ll be surprised of the many benefits you can get from resistance bands.
First, what are resistance bands? These are strong elastic bands in different colors, lengths, thickness and tensions. They may come with or without handles, as loops, or just in flat or tube shape. The bands are commonly used for rehabilitation and for strength training exercises.
Among all the benefits of resistance bands, being easy to use, portable and inexpensive are at the top of the list. Whether you have injuries, health problems, or just want to target and grow your muscles – resistance band training is highly beneficial. These bands are also suitable for everyone in any age and fitness level, for beginners and professionals all depending on the size and thickness of the band.
From Fitness Peal by Dr. Mercola, here’s why adding resistance bands to your workouts is essential:
1. Incredibly Cost-Effective — Resistance bands are inexpensive and can be purchased for under $20. Even more extensive kits, which may include DVDs and other exercise equipment, can be found for under $40.
2. Adaptable for Multiple Fitness Levels — Whether you’re a beginner or an expert, resistance bands are for you. They come in a variety of resistances, including light, medium and heavy, and you can further adjust the intensity of your resistance-band workouts by giving the band more or less slack. You can even use multiple bands at once to increase the challenge.
3. Used with Familiar Exercises — You can often use familiar strength training moves with resistance bands, which means you don’t need to learn a complicated new routine. For instance, resistance bands can replace the weights you use for biceps curls, or can increase the intensity of your push-ups.
4. Whole-Body Exercises — Resistance bands can be used for a comprehensive, full-body workout that challenges virtually every major muscle group in your body.
5. Save on Storage Space — The bands take up virtually no space to store them, which means you can use them at home even if you have very little extra space. When your workout is done, simply stash them in a drawer until your next session.
6. Excellent for Travelling — Resistance bands are lightweight and easily portable. You can stash them in your suitcase when travelling and use them to get a good workout right in your hotel room.
7. Add Variety — Your muscles quickly adapt to movements you do often, which is why adding variety to your workouts is key for challenging your muscles. Resistance bands can be alternated with free weights and exercise machines for ongoing variety.
8. Easy to Use Alone — It’s not a good idea to lift heavy weights without an exercise buddy, but resistance bands can be safely used on your own. They’re ideal for exercising any time, at home or on the road.
9. Can Be Combined with Other Equipment — Resistance bands are so versatile that you can even use them along with weights, allowing you to get the benefits of two types of exercises at once.
10. An Effective Workout — Resistance bands are incredibly simple, but they’re also extremely effective at working your muscles. Additionally, resistance-band training can help you boost stamina, flexibility, range of motion and more.
There are a lot of benefits in using resistance bands, it all depend on your intentions and how you use it. Try using them in the gym instead of barbell or dumbell bench press. Heavy bands can even be added to your barbell bench press training to increase weight and intensity.
The possibilities are really endless…
LEAVE A COMMENT